3/13/2010

Lunch Time

It's raining today. I know for most people this doesn't seem that exciting but when you live in the arid region of southwest Montana rain is a special treat. I honestly don't remember the last time it rained. As I make my way down to the river for some lunch time fishing I close my eyes and breathe in the cool moist air. A hint of sweet cottonwood hangs in the breeze. The gravel crunches beneath my feet and the rushing of the rivers grows louder as the confluence rises to my horizon. A few birds in the big juniper are talking about the weather or perhaps the latest small town news. I can't help but know this is where I recharge, this is where I'm alive. It doesn't matter so much if I even catch a fish today, being here is the reason I've come. So I'm grateful to be here on my lunch break casting a fly to some rising trout on this 3rd day of March. As the rain turns into more of a sprinkle the blue wing olives start to thicken and I can't help but smile.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever someone asks me how Yellowstone fishing is, the first thing I say is, "I think ALL the trout died and were replaced by water-loving rattlesnakes." Then I say, "All the American Indian folk who once walked and traveled this river would, in fearful whispers, say to a fellow tribesman, "Evil spirits inhabit the riffles, dwell in the currents and deep holes and talk worrisome talk in the rapids. I've never SEEN one but, many are the times my arm hair has stood up straight on my arm and neck."

    ReplyDelete